Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Reluctant Entertainer Review

Reluctant Entertainer, The: Every Woman's Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality Author: Sandy Coughlin


Publisher's Synopsis: 
Real Entertaining for Real People
True hospitality is not about being perfect, cooking a fancy meal, or spending a lot of money. Rather, it's about an open door and an open heart. Popular blogger Sandy Coughlin offers a simple but savvy approach to help women break free of the anxieties that keep them from opening their homes. Emphasizing the forgotten goal of entertaining--connecting deeply with others--she shows how women can use the gifts and talents God gave them to reach out in love.

My Thoughts: 
The Reluctant Entertainer. That was me until I bought my first house. Then I chose to invite friends over almost weekly, well the reasons were primarily selfish. I'd rather have people at my house than go to a house where there may be a potential allergy problem with their cats or dogs and it was cheaper than going to a restaurant. I'd always warn this group of people I called friends, my house isn't "clean" sure it was "tidy" but not clean. I usually had people over the day before I planned to clean that week. When they arrived, they asked me really? "This is what you call dirty?" I still felt the need to express a reason for the condition of the house upon their arrival. I suppose I didn't want them to see "how I really lived" though it was nothing to be ashamed of. The Reluctant Entertainer reminded me that "true hospitality is not about being perfect" but rather about "an open door and an open heart." The people, the relationships, the conversations, the times shared were far more important than perfectionism. Included in The Reluctant Entertainer, are some recipes that I can't wait to try (as soon as I gain the courage to cook for others - it may just be this weekend I give it a try). The Strawberry Bread sounds like a yummy summer treat. Need some entertaining inspiration or courage, check out The Reluctant Entertainer full of ideas, thrifty tips, heartwarming encouragement and some great recipes.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communication Inc. Available now at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment